Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard Book Review



Goodreads Summary:

This is a world divided by blood - red or silver.


The Reds are commoners, ruled by a Silver elite in possession of god-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a seventeen-year-old Red girl from the poverty-stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change.


That is, until she finds herself working in the Silver Palace. Here, surrounded by the people she hates the most, Mare discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy the balance of power.


Fearful of Mare's potential, the Silvers hide her in plain view, declaring her a long-lost Silver princess, now engaged to a Silver prince. Despite knowing that one misstep would mean her death, Mare works silently to help the Red Guard, a militant resistance group, and bring down the Silver regime.


But this is a world of betrayal and lies, and Mare has entered a dangerous dance - Reds against Silvers, prince against prince, and Mare against her own heart...


Review:


Wow, oh wow.

When I first read this book, I had a hard time getting through it. It took me two months to finish this book the first time, but now I got a chance to re-read this again and it only took me two days. I admit, this book is kind of hard to follow at first. The world this book sets in is a little bit complicated and complex, and I didn't really pay attention to it the first time. But after reading it again, I LOVED IT. My initial thought was that this universe and the world of this book is underdeveloped, but then I learned that I'll know more on the second book, which I can't wait to read. With all of those being said, I can't help loving the world of Red Queen. The Silver's ability is amazing and I'm amazed by it. This book has an amazing concept and it's also unique on its own way.

I love a book that can make me feel thousands of emotions, especially towards the character. I love Mare, because of her fierceness and her ability, which to me is VERY COOL. I also love Cal, sweet, sweet Cal. Maybe it's just me that is fascinated with princes and guys with power but handling it with compassion, but I LOVE CAL SO MUCH! Gosh. There are characters in the book that I really love to hate, and I love to hate this character because of his betrayal. Speaking of betrayal, THAT PLOT TWIST THOUGH! I love the shock factor that this book has. I know what will happen at the end of the book (because it's my second time reading it), but this book still got me SHOOK. The plot twist just blows my mind completely.

There is a little bit of love triangle happening on this book, but I absolutely love that the love triangle thing isn't a major problem in this. I love that it's there, because it just adds more drama, but it's not overpowering and it doesn't conceal the main problem on the book like other books I've read.

I give this book a 4.5/5 stars. I wanted to give this book a 5 stars, but even after reading it the second time, I still kind of struggled to understand some parts of the book. There are also parts of the book that reminds me of other books, but I didn't really mind it. So, I think 4.5/5 stars is a good enough rating, and I hope that the second book will be great! I can't wait to read it.

 photo signature2_zpsigqsyofg.png

No comments:

Post a Comment